Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Episode 1. ALIEN ATTACK

BROOKLYN NINJA ALIEN FIGHTER

Episode 1.
ALIEN ATTACK

I was never much of anything. Despite what I wanted to believe about myself…the truth is that I never amounted to much.

As a kid I was a daydreamer. As a teenager I was a daydreamer. As a young man I wanted a car and to drive fast and to get laid…well, and to daydream during all of it.

But then my 20’s left for my 30’s and then those continued on as well. And soon enough, one day after my 34th birthday I got hit with a reality check. I really hadn’t done anything with my life.

I was thousands of dollars in debt and continuing to dig a huge hole for myself. My years of daydreaming resulted in little more than dozens of Microsoft word files and printouts with scribbles all over them. I didn’t have a kid. I didn’t have a family. I didn’t have more than a few hundred dollars to my name. And, of course, I was unemployed…again.

So, it was on May 5th 2009 when I decided to throw in the towel on all of my ridiculous pursuits that never panned out to anything. I would be a man. I would buckle down. I would get a job and get out of debt. Find a girl. Buy a car. Basically, I’d build a life for myself.

So, I filled up my coffee cup with the last of the coffee that I had in the house. I turned on the internet and right when I was about to begin sending out resumes everything in the entire world ended.

Not ended…ended. But definitely changed.

It went like this. I turned on the computer. I went online. Then I sipped some coffee and looked out the window towards the Manhattan skyline to see four or five massive spaceships floating at different altitudes in the sky above New York.

And then they started dropping bombs.

IN CAPTION: BROOKLYN NINJA ALIEN FIGHTER

I’ll tell you what’s funny. Unlike all of those hundreds of “Aliens come and attack the Earth” movies that we’ve seen, the attack was silent. The bombs came down with a bright soundless flash. They left nothing but great big craters where they fell.

But the wake of the explosions took out everything around it. Just a wave of force that knocked over every other building around.

One of those blasts hit my building.

I don’t know how long I was out for.

I don’t even know how long it took me to dig myself out through my roof.

All I know is that when I finally did climb out of the rubble nothing was left standing as far as I could see. Brooklyn and Manhattan were leveled. There were miles of destruction going out in every direction. Everything was gone.

No comments: