Thursday, May 22, 2008

Episode 2. IN NEED OF SHOES


Episode 2.
IN NEED OF SHOES


I had no shoes. I found some masking tape and wrapped it around my feet so I could walk. I was still dressed for bed. I had my black kung-fu sleepy pants on and a black band t-shirt with the words “Big Linda” written on it. They were a band from England that I had some friends in, which made me start to wonder if the attack…by whoever attacked us…was worldwide or not?

I moved through the wreckage of my neighborhood, desperately searching for fallen land markers to figure out where I was.

Eventually I made it to the 94th Precinct. I dug through the rubble for about two hours picking guns off of the bodies of dead, crushed police officers. Somehow I made it to a busted open weapons locker. I found boxes of rounds and several guns. I grabbed a bag from an adjacent locker and filled it up.

Then I stood there on the remains of the precinct thinking about what to do next. I still needed shoes and clothes that didn’t rely on a drawstring.

I looked into the horizon at the trails of thick black smoke that were coming from Long Island City. I hadn’t seen a single other living person all day…but the smoke meant that fires were coming…and they would most likely burn through everything that was around.

Well…at least it wouldn’t be completely dark tonight.

No comments: