Thursday, May 29, 2008

EPISODE 5. STEALING MORE STUFF


Episode 5.
STEALING MORE STUFF


I stayed in the alien ship longer than I should have. Still though, it was fully loaded with gear.

You would think that what I was doing would be more difficult than it was, but I was finding that there were basic principals to the construction of things that were holding true here.

These aliens were humanoid shaped, and with that, their ship and gear worked on a similar design to how our stuff worked.

I had spent years doing carpentry back when I was hiding from real jobs. The benefit was that I could see the basic design of things and understand how they worked, which came in handy now.

I opened up hatches and panels looking through their gear. They had a lot of gear. Ray guns. Bombs. All kinds of things. Even body armor. I took a chest plate that was made out of the same thin black material as all of their clothes.

After I was fully loaded with whatever I could carry, I stepped into the cockpit. There was no way I was going to figure out how to fly this thing. Still though, I found something interesting. Well, I don’t really know how interesting a find it was. You have to understand. None of what had happened was magic. It was science. These guys were ahead of us by who knows how long…by a bit, considering that they just destroyed my planet. That’s assuming a lot. New York was the only place that I could be sure of.

Still, their tech was tech and not magic. So…plugged into a housing unit near the pilots seat, was a small device that could only be the key for the ship.

I unplugged it from the terminal, which caused a female alien voice to flood the cabin. “Ch;kdah De-larous?”

“Sure,” I muttered, walking out of the ship. I stood over the alien bodies. That’s when I came across my most useful find. Clasped onto their belts were these two devices no bigger than an Iphone.

It seemed pretty clear to me that one of them was a tracking device. It had three different screens on it. Each one was calibrated for a different species. The guys I had killed were all there. There was nothing for the blue screen. And then there I was blinking in red. I picked up the other device and found that as soon as it was on me, my signal vanished from the screen. I tested it a few times. They each had these little devices on their belts, and I reckoned that they were there to block other aliens from knowing where they were. I took the other blockers off of their dead and threw them in my bag.

Then I turned towards the ship.

I had a terrible feeling. What if these guys weren’t the only type of alien that was on the planet now? That idea spooked the shit out of me. Still though, why would they be blocking themselves from their own people? And, for that matter, why were there different species screens on their Iphone tracker thing?

I shook my head…the possibility was there that I just had killed the wrong guys. The wrong aliens. Alien guys. Whatever.

I looked at the key thing I took from the ship. It had a few buttons on it, just like a remote for a car. I pressed the first button. A moment later the ships exterior lights changed in intensity as the door raised itself and sealed shut.

I pushed the next button. The lights started pulsing in a weird pattern, and a moment later the ship vanished.

I walked over to it. There was an electric hum coming from where the ship was. I touched it and felt a slight static charge. That was interesting. But it was still there, just…invisible.

I re-checked the settings on my controller. If I pressed the same buttons again, the ship became visible and the door opened back up. “Okay. This is a good thing.” I muttered, and closed the ship back up.

I sat on a pile of rubble for a few minutes in front of an invisible ship thinking stuff. I really wish I had weed. That thought that kept coming into my head.

I looked at the locator again. I took off my blocking thing, and there I was, beeping in red on an aerial map of Brooklyn. I put it back on and I was gone from the screen. But then something happened. Another red beeping light came onto the screen. Red. Red meant human. And that meant that somebody else was alive out here…in Bushwick.

I stood up and got my things together, and heading through the debris in the direction of the beeping light.

No comments: